Where Urban Meets Rural
Explore Our Advantages
Welcome to the Elizabethtown-Kitley Fire Department pages. You will find information pertaining to every aspect of Fire Services in these pages.
Fire Marshal's Communique
On This Page:
- Primary Goals & Objectives
- The Stations - Lyn, New Dublin and Frankville
- Community Programs
- Fire Prevention
- Open Burning
- By-laws (Establishing, Private Roads & Fees)
- Suggested Links
- Contact Us
The goals of the Fire Department is to provide fire protection services designed to protect the lives and property from the adverse effects of fires, sudden medical emergencies or exposure to dangerous conditions.
"Our Family, Helping Yours"
The primary mission of the Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley Fire & Emergency Services is to provide a range of programs to protect the lives and property of the inhabitants of the Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley from the adverse effects of fire, sudden medical emergencies or exposure to dangerous conditions created by man or nature.
Where are the fire stations? The Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley has three fire stations located in different parts of the Township. On this page you will find photos of some of the stations, as well as details regarding their locations.
Station 1 - Lyn
Construction of the new fire station number 1 is now complete, and the Fire Department's administration has moved into their new home. The station is located in the historic village of Lyn, at 44 Main Street East. Contact information for the Fire Department has not changed. Fire Administration can be reached by calling 613-498-2460.
The Lyn Fire Hall houses Rescue Vehicle 1 which is equipped with Medical Responders Bag, Oxygen & Defib along with extrication equipment. The Fire Hall also houses one pumper and two tankers to complete the fleet..
For many years the Fire Hall in Lyn has served as the Township's location for Household Hazardous Waste Day drop-off, which is organized by the Fire Department in conjunction with the Environmental and Conservation Advisory Committee.
Station 2 - New Dublin
Fire Station #2 is located at 7519 New Dublin Road, in the hamlet of New Dublin. Many training courses take place here, including the Babysitting Course and First Aid classes.
The fire hall has two large bays for trucks. The station houses Truck 2, which comes equipped with Medical Responders Bag, Oxygen & Defib. This station also has one pumper and two tankers to complete its fleet. Truck 1 which can be seen at Station 2 or traveling the Township is equipped with a minimum medical bag and also carries oxygen.
Station 3 - Frankville
Station #3 is located at 270 County Road 29 in Frankville.
This station houses Rescue Vehicle 3, which is equipped with Medical Responders Bag, Oxygen and Defib, as well as 1 Pumper, 1 Tanker , 1 Parade Pumper and a Personnel Transportation Vehicle (Truck #3). The Station contains a training room for meetings and training sessions, and a kitchenette facility, as well as a radio room and two offices.
The station was a labour of love - built with all volunteer help. The official opening took place on Saturday June 23, 1966. An addition was added to the building in 1970. The station is 5000 square feet and consists of six bays.
Services provided by Volunteer Firefighters include:
- Fire Suppression
- Ice Water Rescue Level One
- Fire Prevention
- Public Education
- Medical Assists
How to Become a Member
The Fire Chief may recommend to council the appointment of any qualified person to become a probationary member of the department.
A person is qualified to be appointed a probationary member who meets the following requirements:
- Applies in writing or completes an application form
- Is not less than nineteen years of age
- Passes such interviews, aptitude and physical tests as may be required
- Has successfully passed a medical examination (re: physical requirements of a firefighter)
- Holds a valid Ontario Driver's License: Minimum "G2" classification required
- A signed Volunteer Application Screening Consent for Disclosure of Personal Information Form
What We Can Do For You
- A Place and time to be every Monday evening
- Advancing, expanding your knowledge in first aid, Haz-mat, fire suppression, rescue, enrollment in Ontario Fire College
- Guarantee of interrupted sleep
- New friends, coming from diversified background
- Guarantee of interrupted meals, and family plans
- Feeling of accomplishment, truly helping people
- Firefighting, rescue, fire prevention
- Sore, achy muscles
- Upgrading or continuing drivers license D, class "Z" endorsement
- Hepatitis "B" Vaccination
- Your December Honorarium
Yours in Fire Prevention,
Jim Donovan, Fire Chief
Volunteer Firefighter Application Form
Completed and signed application forms must be returned to Fire Station #1, 44 Main Street East, Lyn.
The following programs are run by the Fire Department at various times throughout the year.
Fire Safety Education For Children
It is policy to provide and/or support a variety of fire safety education programs for children in the community including the "Learn Not to Burn Program", "Risk Watch Program" and the "Arson Prevention Program for Youths".
Fire Safety Education for Adults
It is policy to provide fire safety education programs such as the "Older and Wiser" in the community to address the fire safety concerns facing the adult population.
Public Fire Safety Programs
It is policy to provide such other fire safety education programs as are deemed necessary by the Fire Chief to address other fire safety concerns in the community and thus heighten fire safety awareness.
Fire Station Tours
It is policy, at the discretion of the Fire Chief to conduct tours of the fire station when requested by the public and to use these opportunities to promote fire safety education to the residents of the community.
To request a tour phone 613-498-2460 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Training and Development
It is policy to participate in various workshops and seminars that promote fire prevention and/or public fire safety education. The Fire Chief and/or Fire Prevention Personnel may attend meetings and/or conferences of various organizations whose purpose is to promote fire prevention and/or public fire safety education including, Fire Prevention Committees, and Fire Prevention Officers Association.
- Increases level of public and firefighter safety in buildings and on premises
Increases public awareness and promotes a positive public attitude
- Reduces incidences of fire and protect property and jobs
- Reduces the incidence of arson and fire crime
- Ensures compliance with fire related Codes, Statutes and By-laws
- Enhances fire department image and efficiency
- Assists with protection of the environment
The Fire Department has gathered together information on fire prevention and an assortment of safety tips to help you develop fire safety in your home and business. To learn more visit the Fire Prevention page by clicking here.
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations that surround open burning. Click here to visit the Open Burning page.
Babysitting Tips & Education
Whether you are a babysitter or the parent you will find information on this page that will be useful to you. To visit the Babysitting page, click here.
The following by-laws related to fire services in Elizabethtown-Kitley. Click on the by-law to view a .pdf version.
- By-law 16-11, a By-law to Amend By-law 13-08, a By-law to Establish Fire and Emergency Services Fees
- By-law 13-08, a By-law to Establish Fire and Emergency Services Fees
- By-law 01-32: Fire Department Establishing and Regulating By-law
- By-law 08-64: Being a By-law to Adopt a Policy Regarding the Provision of Municipal Emergency Services to Properties on Private or Unassumed Roadways
The following links are suggested by the Fire Department as excellent sources of information
Leeds & Grenville
Ontario Fire Marshal
For more information on anything you find on this site, or to acquire information you don't see here, please contact the Administration office of Elizabethtown-Kitley Fire Department at 44 Main Street East in the village of Lyn (Station #1).